Philippians 4:6-7

Monday, February 3, 2014



Happy Monday, friends! 
Well. I did what I purposed not to do. I made a commitment to write some devotional thoughts on my blog each Monday, which I did one time (like 6 weeks ago), and then stopped doing it! Dangit. But, determined to give myself grace, I'm doing it today, trying not to feel flaky or anything for not doing it for a while. 

Today I just want to camp out on one of my FAVE verses, one of my "heart cry" versesi since I have a more... nervous, anxious, worried personality BY DEFAULT. I don't want to be this day, and God has been graciously and faithfully molding me and working on me for YEARS on this. 


 "...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus ." {Philippians 4:6-7}


Okay. The "do not be anxious" part is the part I need most help with. I don't know about you, but sometimes I seriously, passively just let my mind wander around in "worst case scenario" mentality about things that have not actually happened, situations I'm not actually dealing with, and aspects of our future that I have so little control over. It's a terrible habit. It's not any fun, and it's no good for me, and it's not honoring to Jesus. However, while it's GOOD to camp out on the "do not be anxious" imperative, the part of this verse that I'm LOVING and is motivating to choose trust, faith, and peace in place of worry and anxiety is this: 



AND THE PEACE OF GOD, WHICH SURPASSES ALL UNDERSTANDING, WILL GUARD YOUR HEARTS AND MINDS IN CHRIST JESUS. 

If I will do my part, in God's strength, to lay down my anxiety and fear and worried thoughts, HE will be the one to guard both my heart and mind with a peace that I can't explain apart from HIM. I want this! This promise is my jam. But without my conscious choice to surrender my fear of the unknown, my anxiety about the future, and my worry about today, I foolishly rob myself of an incredible opportunity to experience the peace of God over even my most fickle emotions and thoughts. Come on, Kristin, let Jesus win this one. 

I don't know what you're anxious about today, but let's choose to trade anxiety for trust and LET God rock our worlds, hearts (emotions), and minds (thoughts) by the power of JESUS with peace that will be a witness to those around us that God's peace is the best there is! 

Also, for those of you who are like me and are stirred up by some good, true, worship music, give Matt Redman's new album "Your Grace Finds Me" a listen. I can't get enough of the truth in these words - especially this song (forgive the cheesey space/ universe backgrounds, because its SO good!) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by designer blogs